Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Mentor

I've taken someone under my wing recently. He's a "troubled" youth. That's if I needed to label him, but I really don't want to. I'd say, given the life this lad's had, the fact that he wants to go to school, isn't into drugs, has dead-beat parents and he's way behind on high school credits, ya know, give the kid a break. Applaud him for not going the "easy route" of thug life. We live on the outskirts of town, and our houses are at least a mile past the mass transit drop off. Where he's staying is still a few miles past my house. He doesn't have transportation, so he walks or hitch hikes, or takes the bus if he's close enough. I pick him up frequently and take him to/from school. He has my number, but really only seems to call or text if he REALLY needs a ride and it's freezing outside. (I appreciate this; it makes me feel like he's not taking advantage of the situation, and doesn't want to wear out his welcome.) All this kid is missing is a family. Did no one love him as a baby? No held him and hugged him and kissed his cheeks and tickled his belly? No one laughed with him and read him stories and tucked him into bed at night? No one cares if he makes it to school or not, if he's walking in 30' weather and doesn't own a jacket. I know he's not my problem. I'm easily pulled into codependent relationships, so I'm walking a fine line trying to be human, but keep myself safe. He says please and thank you. He looks me in the eye. He likes to go to the local coffee shop when it's slow and play the piano. He's a walking, talking, capable young man who has slipped through the cracks of life and doesn't know any better. I've had some of my best conversations with him lately. I don't know that I can provide him anything more than a listening ear and a caring heart, but my heart has softened for this kid. I want him to succeed.

1 comment:

Want to make you mine... said...

It amazes me sometimes how giving and caring people are even when they've been through the roughest of times lately themselves. You continue to inspire me.

Also, I won't seek for love when I know that I already have it... It may not be from who I wish it was from but I'm not as disappointed when I remember those who still care and love me. Thanks for keeping it positive : )